[ntp:questions] How to specify interface for multicastclient

Thu Jan 14 08:16:00 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-13 20:10, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2016-01-13 14:30, brian utterback wrote:
>> I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. On a
>> multihomed system, is there anyway to specify which interfaces you want
>> multicastclient to listen on? If so, how. If not, why not? I would have
>> expected it to listen on all interfaces, but it doesn't do that.
>
> Relevant links:
> https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html#interface
> https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/discover.html#bcst
> https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html#broadcast
> https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html#multicastclient
>
> Address options:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_address
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2365
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5771
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses/multicast-addresses.xhtml

e.g. you should be able to set multicast address 239.1.1.1 as the broadcast
address on one interface and 239.2.1.1 on the other, specify two lines with
the broadcast addresses in ntp.conf, and have all clients specify both as
the multicastclient addresses in their ntp.conf.
If the servers are used for anything but NTP, YMMV: see last 4 links.