[ntp:questions] ntp.conf file missing?

Fri Jan 22 19:20:41 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-21 22:10, Kman Devnull wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to install the ntp from source. So, I have taken the latest
> production version, and built it. But I don't find the "ntp.conf" file in
> /etc directory (or anywhere)
>
> It configures and build goes through fine, but I don't see 'ntp.conf' file
> installed. What am I doing wrong? kindly advice.

If you install the binaries with your distro package manager, you should get an
/etc/ntp.conf and all the other startup and operational components installed
with functional settings. That ntp.conf often uses the distro pool servers
or the generic global pool e.g.

	pool 0.<distro>.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt

There are examples of all config commands in complete.conf in your $BUILD/ntpd/
directory that can be used for config regression testing, but should not be used
as a basis for any operational config.
Docs are available from man 5 ntp.conf, info ntp.conf 'ntp.conf Notes', and
/usr/share/doc/ntp-doc/html/comdex.html or some similar path on your distro.