[ntp:questions] Making ntpd tweak a TCXO

Mark Haun mark at hau.nz
Thu Jan 28 17:50:13 UTC 2016

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It was suggested off-list that I hack the Linux adjtime implementation to do
what I want (tweak the TCXO instead of changing the kernel tick increment),
so NTP would work as normal.  That may be the simplest solution.

Someone over at time-nuts suggested that the TCXO would be a good candidate
for a "precision hardware clock" driver, part of the Linux PTP
infrastructure.  That is designed for the IEEE time-sync standard running
over a network, but the PHC support is designed specifically for
disciplining local clocks from a userspace program.  Which is what I need to
do.  The TCXO clock would not even need to be used as the Linux system
clock.  But I still need to find a way of accurately stamping the ADC
samples in wall-clock time.

A few comments:

Hal Murray [hmurray at megapathdsl.net] wrote:
> I don't think servoing out the drift will do what you want.  Suppose your
> TCXO slows down a bit.  After a while, ntpd notices, tweaks the drift, then
> you notice, and adjust it to go the right speed.  But during that time, the
> clock was running a tiny bit slow so you lost a fraction of a cycle.

Fair enough... I have been assuming that the frequency deviation is a
zero-mean process, the integral of which will converge to zero over long
periods.  That does ignore the initial error.

> I'm assuming your TCXO is driving your A/D.

Yes.  It spits out samples at a rate f_osc / 240000 = 60 Hz.  My ultimate
task is to timestamp these samples in such a way that there are compressions
and dilations in the time scale, but no discontinuities.

---

About PWM to trim the TCXO:  This is a fairly sophisticated processor
(AM355x) with a lot more complexity than a typical microcontroller.  I am
sure that any of the clocks one gets out of the chip, including the PWM
signals, will have troublesome jitter from a time-nut perspective.  It seems
unlikely to me, though, that this noise would exceed (or approach) one LSB
of the PWM duty-cycle adjustment.  That adjustment gives me 10 or 11 bits
already, which theoretically gets into the single-digits ppb range on the
TCXO.  This is vast overkill for a $3 oscillator whose short-term
instability will dwarf such tiny deviations.

Mark