[ntp:questions] ✘interface/nic

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 15:12:50 UTC 2017

On 31/03/17 22:39, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Quick question, does anyone use either of these in ntp.conf?
>
> interface[listen | ignore | drop] [all | ipv4 | ipv6 | wildcard | name | address[/prefixlen]]
> nic[listen | ignore | drop] [all | ipv4 | ipv6 | wildcard | name | address[/prefixlen]]
>
> If so, how and why?  Is 'name' the name of the interface?

I used interface ignore and then bound ntpd to specific interfaces on
LVS servers. This was because virtual interfaces were continuously
created and destroyed on those servers, ntpd had to continuosly run
after the change and sometimes it got... "confused" and eventually
stopped serving time.

Since I wanted the service to be provided only on specific addresses, I
forced ntpd to ignore all interfaces but the loopback and the ones where
those addresses were bound to.

Hope this helps. Why do you want to know exactly?

Ciao
-- bronto