[ntp:questions] Time syncing with something other than ntpd

Jakob Bohm jb-usenet at wisemo.com
Wed Feb 1 10:59:11 UTC 2017

On 01/02/2017 11:40, David Taylor wrote:
> On 01/02/2017 05:55, sean wrote:

> What will be good enough depends on your needs.  The lowest cost might
> be the Sure board attached to an existing FreeBSD box, running 24 x 7
> and in as stable a thermal environment as necessary.  Both the Raspberry
> Pi and BeagleBone Black are low-power devices and therefore low-cost to
> run 24 x 7, with the BBB having a slightly better Ethernet
> implementation if you need to get down to the tens of microseconds
> level, but with the Raspberry Pi have a much wider support even though
> it might offer (approx) fifties of microseconds.  Judge for yourself here:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/BBB-vs-RPi.html
>
> If you already have an RPi doing something, adding a NTP server to its
> tasks will make little extra load for an environment with a thousand or
> more clients....

As I am looking at the BBB myself, here are some extra questions:

1. Do you know if anyone has tried using the real-time coprocessors on
   the BBB to more accurately track the PPS signal?

2. I presume the BBB could be put in a shielded case (I see some
   offered online).  Any experience with that?

Enjoy

Jakob