[ntp:questions] questions] Time syncing with something other than ntpd

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 15:51:16 UTC 2017

There is a Garmin GPS 18x High-Sensitivity LVC Sensor 010-00321-36 for sale
on eBay here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-GPS-18x-High-Sensitivity-LVC-Sensor-010-00321
-36-/222277215324?hash=item33c0c1245c:g:L-gAAOSwOyJX-6Dn&vxp=mtr for only
$45.86 USD, $59.99 C in Canada.  I bought one from eBay for $39 not too long
ago, so all you really have to do is look.

The Sure device works, but for me it was too difficult to make the PPS work.
I bought two and was unable to make either one output a detectable PPS.  The
PPS was there, my scope told me so, but I could not make the computer detect
it.  On the other hand, I am very clumsy, and have little experience with
electronics.

Charles Elliott
=====================================

Thanks for that, Charles, good to know they are still around, and at a good
price.

A pity about the Sure device as I had no problems and now use one Sure
device to feed two PCs (ground, PPS and RX-input-to-PC connected on one PC,
TX-from-PC as well on another).  I have seen PCs not detect a 0/3.3V level
RS-232 signal (it's too little voltage, should be at least +/- 3V) on the
RX/TX lines, and yet strangely they can see the 3.3V DCD signal!  The mod I
showed for the Sure board should give a full-level RS-232 signal, though,
which should easily be seen by the PC.

Ho, hum, one of those things.  The Garmin delivers nearer to 0/5V, IIRC.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk