[ntp:questions] Time syncing with something other than ntpd

sean sean at sean.eternal-september.org
Thu Feb 2 23:14:13 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-02, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 02/02/2017 04:34, sean wrote:
> []
>> Incidentally I do have a BBB and a few raspberry pis. The BBB goes back
>> and forth to/from work so I won't be able to use that as the NTP host.
>>
>> As an aside, have you done anything with SDR? You may be interested in
>> this:
>> https://github.com/flightaware/piaware
>
> Do lets us know how you get on with NTP.

Absolutely. You and others have been very helpful with all the links and
advice.

> Yes, I've done some ADS-B stuff, although using others' code as I don't
> do "C" myself.  For multilateration we need times to better than a
> microsecond (and ideally to within 100 ns) and this is achieved within
> the software by comparing several aircraft which are mutually visible
> between multiple stations, and for some of which GPS locations are known.
>
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/dump1090.html

Your site has a little bit of everything, doesn't it?!

You're probably aware but flightaware is selling these little devices:

https://www.amazon.com/FlightAware-Stick-Receiver-Built-Filter/dp/B01M7REJJW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486076686&sr=8-5&keywords=flight+aware

I would still need to get an antenna for it. But of course you have a
link on how to make one:
http://www.lll.lu/~edward/edward/adsb/antenna/ADSBantenna.html

Is that the same one you're still using?

> and, of course, I monitor the performance where I can, comparing
> different systems:
>
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ads-b.php
>
> I've also just started with earthquake detection, something which
> requires good time keeping (perhaps to within a second!) and may be of
> interest to west coast USA members:
>
>    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-shake-personal-seismograph/

Very neat. Even though I'm a proud owner of several pis, I don't check
their blog out very much. I should because they have great content.

Sorry for taking this so far off subject from NTP.