[ntp:questions] Monitoring Number of Clients

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Feb 16 10:29:58 UTC 2017

> Third, in my reading of the source code for the Network Time Protocol Daemon
> (NTPD), the program is optimized to handle a high number of requests per
> second, not to record who is making the requests.

Look at the mrulist.  You can see it from ntpq
  ntpq -c mrulist

The default size is 600 slots.  You will probably want to make it bigger.
Details in miscopt.html if your setup installed it or html/miscopt.html in
the source.

With a bit of trial and error, you can figure out how big you need to make it
to cover the time scale you have in mind and/or how frequently you have to
grab a copy of the data to keep the table from overflowing.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.