[ntp:questions] NTP server - Number of received petitions.

Tue Mar 21 19:22:29 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-21 08:05, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Miroslav Lichvar writes:
>> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:01:21PM +0000, Ra=FAl wrote:
>>> But I don't need anything special, I'm just looking how to know
>>> the load of my NTP server, how many request I'm receiving from
>>> clients. I thought that doing that would be easy.
>>
>> If you just need current rate of requests and don't care about
>> individual clients, you could periodically call ntpdc -c iostats
>> and calculate the rate from the total number of received packets
>> using awk for instance:
>>
>> while true; do ntpdc -c iostats; sleep 1; done | \
>> 	awk '/received packets/{ print $3 - last; last=3D$3}' =
> 4.2.6 should have a similar command via ntpdc.
> And in 4.2.8 (at least) , iostats is available in ntpq.

http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6p5/ntpdc.html documents monlist but not
its output. It's been disabled in newer releases and deconfigured
in older releases since the DDoS attacks using it against
misconfigured public servers. So I can't easily try it and it may
not work for you if that was one of the patches applied to CentOS.