[ntp:questions] NTPD hunts after reboot

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 17:13:32 UTC 2017

	Some time ago, NTPD used to hunt for several hours after a reboot
until it settled down to providing good time.  Then it stopped doing that,
and now it is doing it again.

	I was going thru the NTPD listing looking for something else, when I
came across a paragraph of comments describing a controversy over whether or
not to reset the computer's battery clock as NTPD slewed the clock to reach
an equilibrium.  I did not read the whole paragraph, and cannot find it
quickly now.

	In any case, my question now is, if NTPD is no longer resetting the
computer's battery clock to match its estimate of the current time, would
that explain why NTPD now indicates a big jump in time after a reboot, hunts
back and forth within a range of about 30+ milliseconds for about an hour
after a reboot, and takes about 4 hours before it is providing good time
again?

Charles Elliott