[ntp:questions] NTP under AIX?

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Thu May 18 15:37:55 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at tmsw.no>
wrote:

> David Taylor wrote:
>
>> On 16/05/2017 19:53, Greg Moeller wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to test?  It seems like I'm heading into the
>>> unknown here.  :)
>>>

>> You could get a dedicated NTP box such as:
>>

>> http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_in
>> fo&products_id=272
>>
>> and scatter a few or a dozen around your enterprise.
>>

> That's an very good price point for a nice box. :-)

It is a nice price but there are some issues with "a dozen around your
enterprise".
The worst is common mode faults.  Another concern is NTP "compatible" in a
lightweight (or dedicated system).  Some people want the full capabilities
of the reference implemention (e.g. auth or peer).  Others want the options
of a full OS (e.g. native firewall and traffic monitoring).

For folks with the resources I would suggest a clique of JF Fury GPSDOs and
a selection of various generation (6,7 and 8) EVK boxes from u-Blox and
something from Trimble.  All of which you can plug into any box with a
serial port.  I've used PCEngine systems with PCI serial cards.

Or you can just use the pool and be satisfied with ms level performance.