[ntp:questions] How can i make sure that how much time ntp is adjusting one day

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sun Aug 5 08:53:30 UTC 2018

On 05/08/18 07:15, aashish.chugh at fonantrix.com wrote:

> i enable the ntp, how can end of the day i can get the total time which ntp adjusted.

NTP adjusts frequency, not time.  It doesn't predict what the internal
clock would show if it hadn't been adjusted

> when i execute ntpstat command i can see following output
>
> synchronised to NTP server (169.254.169.123) at stratum 4
>     time correct to within 9 ms
>     polling server every 8 s

I'm not sure what is being measured to produce the 9ms figure.  It seems
suspiciously
low for a good estimate of the error bounds for a such a high stratum
client.

If you are polling the server every 8 seconds you have overridden the
default settings in a way that is not recommended, is likely to cause
sub-optimal time keeping, and is likely to get you blacklisted by many
servers.