[ntp:questions] How can i make sure that how much time ntp is adjusting one day

Jakob Bohm jb-usenet at wisemo.com
Mon Aug 6 12:54:26 UTC 2018

On 06/08/2018 13:42, Thomas Laus wrote:
> On 2018-08-06, aashish.chugh at fonantrix.com <aashish.chugh at fonantrix.com> wrote:
>> here is my ntp.conf file.
>>
>> and destination ip is (169.254.169.123)
>>
>> I am using ntp on my aws ec2 instance.
>>
> The IP address 169.254.169.123 is an IANA reserved non-routable internal one.
> Is this address one that is local to your Amazon EC2 instance region and
> availability location?  When you send a query:
>
> ntpq -c as
>
> Does the billboard show that address as reachable?
>
> Tom

FYI Amazon EC2 uses the non-routable network 169.254.169.0/24 for
services local to each datacenter, or even to smaller subdivisions.  So
this is probably an extremely local Amazon time server.

That said, the Amazon part of the pool also contains servers not on that
subnet (I tried a DNS lookup from one of my own EC2 instances, and it
gave back routable IPs).

Enjoy

Jakob