[ntp:questions] What is the mean of below output?

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Mon Aug 6 13:21:29 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-06, ashishchugh.org at gmail.com <ashishchugh.org at gmail.com> wrote:
> This time i made some changes and i can see below output at this time i am using aws time sync ip on my ntp.conf
>
> ntpa -p
>
> output -
>
>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
> *169.254.169.123 10.25.3.142      3 u  350  512  377    0.225    0.372   0.120
>  pugot.canonical .STEP.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

That billboard indicates that your ntp server has reached and synchronized with
169.254.169.123.  The other server 'pugot.canonical' has not been seen by
your instance.  It's reach number is 0.

You have a good start on your ntp operation.  You should have a minimum of 4
servers for good timekeeping so that a bad poll reply can be out voted by
the other servers.  The pool server directive is designed to give you a fair
number of good servers automatically and will dynamically replace them as
needed.  One 'pool' directive is all that is required.  It will be fanned
out at the other end to supply a minimum of 4 IP addresses for your server
to synchronize.

Tom

--
Public Keys: