[ntp:questions] NTPd in embedded application slow to serve/sync time.

Ben bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Aug 16 16:16:48 UTC 2018

Hey all,

  Quick question:

I have NTP running on 2 embedded systems.

One of them has a garmin GPS18 via ttyUSBn port (linked to /dev/gps0) and works great...  have "minpoll" set to 3 for fast poll time.

The other system is set to use this first unit as its time source -- but seems to not get the right time. the system startup script includes a 3min start delay so when both units are powered up (simultaneously), the NTP client asks for time 3 minutes AFTER the NTP server is up and running. (via ntpdate)

By the time the client asks the server, the server's local clock is set, but

         ntpq -c clockvar
         ntptime

in a script both show that "ERROR 5" basically telling me (without digging further) the server clock isn't fully happy yet... (eventually, they sync up and go "OK")

Anything else I can do to speed up the server to being happy about giving out time?

Thanks,

  -Ben