[ntp:questions] Fine tuning ntp.conf

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sat Apr 27 00:18:15 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-26, jeliskoski at gmail.com <jeliskoski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 26 April 2019 19:39:25 UTC+2, William Unruh  wrote:

>> > []
>> > []
>> > One comment - why not use the pool servers, as suggested?  Replace your
>> > four lines with:
>> >
>> >    pool  de.pool.ntp.org  minpoll 6 maxpoll 7  iburst
>> >
>> > You may find that some of the public servers you list may be overloaded,
>> > or come and go from time to time - the "pool" directive takes care of
>> > vanishing and overloaded servers.
>> >
>> One problem with the pool is that the servers have varying accuracy. If
>> you have carefully chosen your servers as having low uncertainty, then
>> your list might be better. But if you simply chose them randomly, then
>> the pool will probably be just as good.
>
> Yes, I tried with nearest to my country

That is one issue (it should tend to make the round trip time, and thus
the chances of assymetry) slightly lower. But I have found that sites
2000km away can be much better than some other sources 50 ft away. It
really depends on all the switches/routers/etc between you and the
source, and also what that source uses for its sources. For example one
might use GPS time with a really good GPS card, while the other might
use WWV. Both are stratum 1 sources, but on it a lot lot lot more
accurate than the other.