[ntp:questions] Garmin 18x LVC - degraded precision ?

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Wed Aug 7 18:49:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019, Mike Cook wrote:

> Hi,
>  It’s possibly on the way out. I don’t have an 18x but can get badformat
> showing if I pull the antenna on a NMEA source. Another possibility, it
> could be that you have a GPS jammer in the vicinity.  If you run your cv
> command in a loopover a day you may see some pattern in the badformat
> counts. Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  If I can find some free time I'm going to get
graphing going.  I also take your point on the badformat pattern.

GPS jammer I had not thought of.  Of course anything is possible, but I
live in a subdivision in the midwest USA - and I think most of my
neighbors are the "use the ISP's router" and "call Geek Squad" types.  I
will keep a lookout for suspicious unmarked vans bristling with antennae
though :)

I think I might bite the $70 USD bullet and just get a new one to try out.
Worst case I will have a backup unit.

--
Brandon Applegate - CCIE 10273
PGP Key fingerprint: