[ntp:questions] Issues trying to sync to NIST public servers

François Meyer fmeyer at obs-besancon.fr
Sun Feb 3 10:46:11 UTC 2019

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019, Jan Ceuleers wrote:

> On 03/02/2019 00:39, François Meyer wrote:
>>
>> In case NIST servers are hard to reach, a metrologically defendable
>> fallback could be to use ntp servers from another national metrology
>> institute which would provide the same traceability to UTC.
>
> I agree that this is a sensible answer from a technical perspective.
> However has anyone else done this and passed SEC scrutiny? Remember that
> US law is rules-based, not principles-based.

I am certainly not a lawyer and dont know what in this case is written in laws and
what is written in regulations, but if you are obliged to break the
regulations to comply to the law, you cannot be wrong...
Clearly another topic.

But personnally I would not hesitate long, since if
you do nothing you also break the rules by not being sync'ed.

Log the incidents, warn NIST, take countermeasures, justify them,
hard to find anything else to do in such a situation.

--
François Meyer