[ntp:questions] Issues trying to sync to NIST public servers

François Meyer fmeyer at obs-besancon.fr
Thu Feb 7 14:33:44 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019, Greg.Dowd at microchip.com wrote:

> I'm not certain I understand the traceability concern as stated  since
> they are  both  traceable  to  UTC.  NIST  servers  are  traceable  to
> UTC(NIST) while

" GPS is traceable to UTC(USNO) "

Well, that's the point.

>From the BIPM's point of view about "Metrological traceability" :

https://www.bipm.org/en/bipm-services/calibrations/traceability.html

"...the result can be  related  to  a  reference  through  a  documented
  unbroken chain of calibrations..."

The key word here is "documented" ; since the process of
building/steering/calibrating GPS time out of UTC(USNO) is not publicly
documented (ie you wont find that in the BIPM's circular T, nor any
otherpublicly available source), GPS Time is not a priori traceable to UTC, it
takes at least some afterwards steps/checks to possibly fill the gap.
--
François Meyer