[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

Dan Drown dan-ntp at drown.org
Tue Jul 30 16:39:25 UTC 2019

:
> As a transitional solution for such a technique, one could use an
> enhanced USB-to-RS-232 adapter including a timestamp in its reporting of
> "modem-control" inputs, such as "CD line went high 2.3456ms before the
> start of this USB frame" (because it happened 0.3456ms before a frame,
> but 2 frames were busy).
:

I took pretty much this strategy with my project here:
https://blog.dan.drown.org/pps-over-usb/

It's custom USB-to-serial firmware, that measures the delay between
the PPS and the USB poll.  The kernel timestamps the CD transition in
the USB interrupt handler, and the Linux software combines that with
the firmware's delay message before reporting it to ntp via SHM.

It works, but it's not as good timing quality as just using a platform
that supports pps-gpio or PPS on the NIC's 1588 timers.