[ntp:questions] PPS, prefer keywoard and redundant peers

Scott e9f3hjbprvu9 at thismonkey.com
Tue Nov 24 04:05:16 UTC 2020

Hi all,

the documentation clearly states that for a PPS driver to work one needs to
configure another peer as `prefer'.

I have a set-up with PPS and three network (IP) peers, one of these marked
preferred.

1) why can't the PPS signal be used to discipline all survivors (assuming
they meet the requirements for PPS)?

2) if my preferred peer goes away, NTP will not use PPS at all (it looks like
it becomes the system peer (*) then later a falseticker (x)).  Is there any
way to make PPS survive a prefer peer loss?

Many thanks.