[ntp:questions] questions] Ntpq.exe memory issue with windows 2019

David J Taylor davidtaylor at writeme.com
Fri Oct 23 06:29:24 UTC 2020

Thanks for your report.

On a newly installed PC running Windows-10 Pro, using standard NTP I see a
loss of "Available" memory of about 16 kB per ntpq invocation.

Numbers: running ntpq in a Perl script.  This Perl script is called (with
different parameters) four times for each node.  I'm monitoring ~25 nodes,
so that's about 100 calls for each MRTG check, which is every five minutes,
making 28,800 calls per day.  Loss (by visual inspection) is 8 GB in 17
days.  So approximately 16 kB per ntpq invocation.

From other monitoring, ntpd is completely constant in memory usage (35-40
MB).

I'll see whether entering an NTP bug still works....it does so I'll add
evidence to your 3695.

==============================

Update - no stray ntpq.exe processes showing here in the RAMMAP page table.

Perhaps the memory usage here is just cached data until the memory starts to
run out?

  https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_penguin.php

Looks like the pattern changed from ~23:00 last night.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk