[ntp:questions] Ntpq.exe memory issue with windows 2019

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 14:58:32 UTC 2020

On 10/29/20 12:24, David Woolley wrote:
> On 28/10/2020 18:01, Uwe Klein wrote:
>> That does not jibe with "creeping increase of memory taken".
>>
>> If Win keeps something for reuse ... it should not grow but be reused
>> later again kept for ...:-)
>
> As I said, I'm not familiar with the way that Windows shows memory
> statistics, but I do know that both on Windows and Linux, people often
> get confused because the OS aims only to keep a small amount of memory
> free. I was assuming that memory used was total - free, rather than
> reflecting that which could not be released without fatally harming a
> running process.

Sounds like a classic memory leak. Not familiar with ws2019, but you
need to track down what's causing it. For example, does the problem
go away if you disable ntpq.exe and is that part of the os, or third
party utility ?. Are you sure ntpq.exe terminates after execution,
or is it staying resident in memory ?...

Regards,

Chris