[ntp:questions] [HINT]: NTP server installation

David J Taylor davidtaylor at writeme.com
Thu Sep 3 09:26:19 UTC 2020

Hi Team,

I am new to NTP .
I want to estimate my machines configurtion that can be good enough to run
NTP server and give time to the network nodes.

1.Is NTP package comes with Ubuntu 14 version
or I only need to install it from internet.
2. Basically I do not have internet connction on my linux machine
   can some package offline can be used for ntp

Thanks
David caul

David,

1.  Likely the supplied package will be good enough.  NTP isn't a major
load - even a Raspberry Pi can handle hundreds of clients (if not more).

2.  You can use a GPS device both to get the time of day, and the edge of
the second.  If sync to UTC isn't required, NTP can work in a stand-alone
mode, but I have no experience of that.

A Raspberry Pi card, GPS expansion, and GPS puck could be all you need:

  https://ava.upuaut.net/?p=951

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu