[ntp-GSoC] Testing update

Harlan Stenn stenn at nwtime.org
Mon Jun 1 18:47:32 UTC 2015

Folks,

Please see this email from Mark Vander Voord, below.

If folks here *want* to use the fixtures code with these capabilities
that will take some extra work.

Mark, I think the primary reason this happened was that we were looking
for ways to have finer-grained control over which test case(s) were
executed when running a block of tests.

There's a concern that as the number of tests grow the time it takes to
run them will also grow, and making sure a test can be quickly run
during its development was seen as a good thing.

If the answer is "Write your tests stand-alone and when they work
#include them in the bigger runner/driver" that may be a fine answer.

It will be trivial for us to not include the fixtures code.

Another thing we're looking at is adding XFAIL/XPASS, because I'd like
to see us also have tests for the issues reported in our bugzilla
system.  Unresolved issues  there would be "expected failures" and would
not stop the testing process until the PACKAGE_VERSION (our software's
version) was at a point where the issue was resolved.

We're thinking that XPASS (unexpected pass) would be reported but would
not stop the test run, either.

So, to quote an earlier message about this, the test code would contain
lines like:

- for code earlier than 4.2: FAIL
- for code in the 4.2 branch: XFAIL@<4.2.8p2,PASS
- for code in the 4.3 branch,:XFAIL@<4.3.20,PASS
- else: PASS

That's off the top of my head. It means that if we're running the test
on something earlier than 4.2 (EOL'd code) we expect the test to fail,
but this is not an XFAIL case.  If we're in the 4.2 branch, code before
4.2.8p2 is expected to fail, and code from >= 4.2.8p2 is expected to
pass.  I suspect the other cases are now obvious...

Reading this, I can see we might want to make even more changes, or at
least be sure that people understood that an XFAIL is a known (possibly
very serious) bug where we know the problem won't be fixed by changing
that specific branch - if folks want that to be fixed the should update
to the newer branch of the code.

But I'm not a testing guy and this is one of the cases where your input
would be most appreciated.