[ntp:hackers] ntp-dev and getaddrinfo()

Harlan Stenn stenn at whimsy.udel.edu
Tue Aug 12 14:43:59 PDT 2003

It looks like the IPv6 changes have altered the config file processing
in that instead of calling the code in ntp_intres.c to handle DNS/rDNS
lookups thru a forked process we now call getaddrinfo() in the main
code.

This means ntpd can block, which is a Bad Thing (last I checked).

I believe this must be fixed before we release 4.2.0.

Choices include:

- decide it's OK if ntpd blocks while making resolver calls
- move the getaddrinfo() calls to ntp_intres.c and change the calling
  code to use the forked resolver
- implement the lwres library and go to an async resolver

Thoughts/comments?

Harlan