[ntp:hackers] Re: autokeyand IPv6?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Aug 12 20:44:53 PDT 2003

Danny,

>From your and Harlan's comments, I must have said something to send you
both off in the wild blue yonder. As I have said, several times in fact,
the problem is the interface address is not being stored, in multicast
(only) probably by something changed in the findbcastinter() routine in
ntp_io.c or where called. I don't know where the problem could be with
unicast, but the interface address is not being stored there either.
This code used to work in both IPv4 and IPv6, but now works only in
IPv4. DNS is not involved in any way in that chore. For what it's worth,
our campus DNS works gangbusters, at least to resolve our test machines.

I'll try one more time to make the problem clear. When an Autokey
association is configured, the first thing it needs to find is the IP
address that will be used for the first packet sent out the interface.
For that reason it presents the destination address to the I/O system
and expects to get the interface and IP address from which the first
packet will be sent. The code I put in for IPv4 has been there for a
very long time, but this was deep in the code I suppose you changed, and
maybe something got messed up. I haven't changed anything.

Dave