[ntp:hackers] Mort.udel.edu

Richard S. Shuford Richard.Shuford at sun.com
Sat Aug 16 21:32:08 PDT 2003

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, David L. Mills wrote:

| Mort is back from the shop running Solaris 9. Some little things John
| fixed in 8 seems to have returned in 9. Rats. Having just said that and
| checked mort, I see it has powered itself down. It has started doing
| that: when I power it up, it goes for a little while, prints "powering
| down" and does just that. Rats; it's a real problem to bring to the
| shop; I can't really safely lift it.

Dr. Mills:

I take it that this "Mort" machine is a Sun Blade 1000 or similar
type?

One cause of mysterious "powering down" incidents on such machines
can be overheating.  Is it possible that airflow is blocked, or that
some other problem of that sort exists?

 ...Richard S. Shuford
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    Solaris Network and Security Technologies
    1 Network Dr., UBUR02-212
    Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA