[ntp:hackers] A wee experiment

John Hay jhay at icomtek.csir.co.za
Mon Dec 1 03:45:44 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:57:00AM +0100, Terje Mathisen wrote:
> David L. Mills wrote:
> >The new stuff is at ntp-dev and also at
> >ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/software/ntp...
>
> I didn't find anything new at the ftp server, but I've pulled a complete
> update from BK, genereated new NT binaries and uploaded them to my
> /ntp/dev/ directory:
>
>   <http://norloff.org/ntp/dev/ntp-4.2.0-2003-12-01-nt.zip>
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test this update on my
> Oncore-based refclock, since that system is still running FreeBSD 4.5
> (with too old auto* tools) and I haven't had time to move the clock to
> the new v5.1 machine.

The way I handle this kind of thing locally is to fetch the bitkeeper
stuff (ntp-dev) to one machine and then I run autoreconf on that
machine and do a compile (that is needed because the compile also
creates some files) and then I rsync the source to all the machines
where I want to build ntp. It looks something like this on my "main"
box:

cd /home/ntp/ntp-dev
bk pull -z
bk -r edit (not really needed everytime)
autoreconf -f -i
cd /home/ntp/build
/home/ntp/ntp-dev/configure
make
cd /home/ntp
rsync -avz --exclude BitKeeper --exclude SCCS --delete-excluded ntp-dev \
	${DEST}:/home/ntp/

This way only one box need up-to-date auto* tools and other things like
lynx etc.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay at icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay at FreeBSD.org