[ntp:hackers] Size of refclock_atom.o

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Mon Jul 28 18:00:15 PDT 2003

> Sorry, I've deleted the original message.  Was the .o file large, or
> does "size" say the file has lots of text and/or data?  If it's a
> large .o file, but the text and data are small, then it could be a
> consequence of compiling with -g to add debugging symbols or something
> like that?  If this is the case, then it is really is nothing to worry
> about (although if so I'm not sure why refclock_atom.o would be larger
> than everything else).

Ah, yes.
Actually I thought about that while driving into work this am.  Didnt
have a chance to do the experiment till I got home.

But, removing the '-g' reduces the *.o file down to 661 bytes, so the
55k size that I repored is all debugging info.

It seems that gcc must not be very careful as to what it includes,- rather
bringing in info from *all* the #include files even though there is only
three lines of code, and one actual variable of any interest.

Problem solved.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com