[ntp:hackers] Various

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Nov 2 20:55:49 PST 2003

Guys,

1. A few days ago I sent a request for assistance about the lists of
public servers. I've maintained these data for 23 years and that's long
enough. I think this should be a function of the NTP web using an
automated registration system. However, as there are apparently no
volunteers in this group, I will try the newsgroup. If none there, these
lists will simply disappear.

2. I intend to stand down the Information on Time and Frequency Services
pages in my web collection, which include links to international
laboratories, lists of public servers and various ancillary information.
I get feedback from the laboratories from time to time, so I know folks
do see and use this information. Hopefully, the best of these links will
survive elsewhere on the NTP web.

3. As I have said more than once, I would like to move or abandon the
NTP documentation pages from my personal web collection on the Udel
eecis web. I think the best and cleanest way to do this is simply to
abandon the documentation altogether, except for the master reference
pages on whimsy. Frankly, I found the bickering about principle and
format and whether the HTML, faq or twitchy is the apporiate education
vehicle discouraging and not in my best research interests.  Inclusion
of these pages in the software distribution, transport to the NTP
archives and conversion to any other format is up to the bitkeepers and
webdudes. The only thing I request is that a prominent statement and
link be included on the web that the definitive program documentation
for record is the HTML pages and other formats must be considered
derivative works.

4. I believe any and all handhold, configure, build and install
information should not be in the master HTML pages I produce. This
information should be in every happy format anyone wants and in any
place others find useful. Accordingly, I intend to remove these pages
from the master collection and maintain only the program documentation
and reference pages.

5. I request that you remove my name and link everywhere in the NTP site
with the single exception of the list of contributors. I also request
that you include on the web a copy of the NTP copyright statement (only)
in the copyright page of the distribution.

* Copyright (c) David L. Mills 1992-2003                              *
* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and   *
* its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby         *
* granted, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all    *
* copies and that both the copyright notice and this permission       *
* notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name        *
* University of Delaware not be used in advertising or publicity      *
* pertaining to distribution of the software without specific,        *
* written prior permission. The University of Delaware makes no       *
* representations about the suitability this software for any         *
* purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied          *
* warranty.                                                           *