[ntp:hackers] Various

Harlan Stenn stenn at www.ntp.org
Sun Nov 2 23:09:26 PST 2003

Dave,

> 1. A few days ago I sent a request for assistance about the lists of
> public servers. I've maintained these data for 23 years and that's long
> enough. I think this should be a function of the NTP web using an
> automated registration system. However, as there are apparently no
> volunteers in this group, I will try the newsgroup. If none there, these
> lists will simply disappear.

Steve Kostecke is working on a possible replacement.  I suspect he will
say something when he is ready.

> 2. I intend to stand down the Information on Time and Frequency Services
> pages in my web collection, which include links to international
> laboratories, lists of public servers and various ancillary information.
> I get feedback from the laboratories from time to time, so I know folks
> do see and use this information. Hopefully, the best of these links will
> survive elsewhere on the NTP web.

Should this be taken as a hint that you want somebody to copy the
information on that page elsewhere if anybody wants it saved?  If so,
then based on your statements the info is clearly useful so I want it
copied to the twiki.

> 3. As I have said more than once, I would like to move or abandon the
> NTP documentation pages from my personal web collection on the Udel
> eecis web. I think the best and cleanest way to do this is simply to
> abandon the documentation altogether, except for the master reference
> pages on whimsy. Frankly, I found the bickering about principle and
> format and whether the HTML, faq or twitchy is the apporiate education
> vehicle discouraging and not in my best research interests.  Inclusion
> of these pages in the software distribution, transport to the NTP
> archives and conversion to any other format is up to the bitkeepers and
> webdudes. The only thing I request is that a prominent statement and
> link be included on the web that the definitive program documentation
> for record is the HTML pages and other formats must be considered
> derivative works.

I can see that steps are taken to make this happen, and if the webdudes
"take over" the documentation that you don't want to maintain we're going
to maintain those docs.  You would, of course, get a vote in any issues
and it would be a vote, not a dictate.  OK?

> 4. I believe any and all handhold, configure, build and install
> information should not be in the master HTML pages I produce. This
> information should be in every happy format anyone wants and in any
> place others find useful. Accordingly, I intend to remove these pages
> from the master collection and maintain only the program documentation
> and reference pages.

OK, and I'd appreciate having the latest copies of the documents you plan
to abandon available somewhere so we can "evolve" them.  If the current
pages in 4.2.0 (that was recently released) is sufficient, then I'm happy.

> 5. I request that you remove my name and link everywhere in the NTP site
> with the single exception of the list of contributors.

To my knowledge, this is already the case.  John/Steve, would you please
check to be sure?

> I also request
> that you include on the web a copy of the NTP copyright statement (only)
> in the copyright page of the distribution.

* Copyright (c) David L. Mills 1992-2003                              *
* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and   *
* its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby         *
* granted, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all    *
* copies and that both the copyright notice and this permission       *
* notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name        *
* University of Delaware not be used in advertising or publicity      *
* pertaining to distribution of the software without specific,        *
* written prior permission. The University of Delaware makes no       *
* representations about the suitability this software for any         *
* purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied          *
* warranty.                                                           *