[ntp:hackers] Re: ntp and isc.org

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Nov 3 09:58:17 PST 2003

Guys,

Pardon the delayed response; I've been overwhelmed by lightning and
hurricanes and rotten power here.

I am somewhat anal retentive on the ntp.org domain; I paid for it ex
pocket, am listed as RP and the department and campus run the DNS for
it. When I wrote RFC-904 two decades ago I took real heat on my
definition of autonomous system, which is a managed set of gateways
together with only one required management capability: a management
order to turn something off cannot be overruled. Same with the NTP
domain. So, the domain ntp.org and maccarony.ntp.org remain here. I have
no trouble at all if links there point elsewhere or if ntp.isc.org
springs up elsewhere.

I need iron for testing here, especially things like distributed
discovery and security protocols. I need support for Solaris, SunOS and
FreeBSD. I have software support from HP for the Alpha, so need to keep
that running as well. The Ultrix and HP-UX can go, but as long as they
spin here without diddling some thing or other, they can stay. John's
Linux box stays only because it is the console multiplexor for several
machines of the herd. As evident previous messages, I have taken great
pains to keep the backroom stable, viable and reliable for my own
purposes and prefer to keep the development version there.

Dave