[ntp:hackers] Headlights in the tunnel

David L. Mills mills at UDel.Edu
Fri Sep 5 22:15:35 PDT 2003

Guys,

As you know, the backroom site has taken serious hits due electric bolt.
However, some nice thints have happened. First, I found a fiberchannel
36-GB disk in the department junkbox for survivor mort.udel.edu and I
have copied the old whimsy:/backroom disk to /mort/backroom. Thus the
old ntp-dev and cronies are safe. I intend to remove all external disks
on mort as a precaution for possible future bolts. The 54GB of disks on
mort should last a long while, and mort is no slouch as Blade 1000,

Second, the ISDN line and router have been replaced, so that nagging
problem nas been resolved.

Third, both the interal disk and external /whimsy disk on what was once
whimsy are confirmed deceased. The internal disk is still on warranty,
although its contents are torch. I do have tape backups for /whimsy, but
those are a year old.

More good news is that for whatever reason I am told a pile of money is
in my department account for whatever purpose, like to repair the
lightning victims and even some loose change for upgrades.

Still more good news seems to be the Navy, in spite of my embarassment
about lack of any effective control of the release process, may even
have some bucks to drop on out efforts here. I may even resign my
cultivated position of executive carmudgeon.

For the moment, mort seems to be surviving its environment sensor
malaise. However, I would hope that at least whatever mischief was being
practiced on whimsy can continue in recovery mode on mort. I still think
the safest course would be to move the critical stuff to a more
survivable spot, but am still committed to providing backroom support
here in the wilds of northern Delaware.