[ntp:hackers] Headlights in the tunnel

Richard S. Shuford Richard.Shuford at sun.com
Sat Sep 6 17:39:24 PDT 2003

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003, David L. Mills <mills at UDel.Edu> wrote:

| Third, both the interal disk and external /whimsy disk on what
| was once whimsy are confirmed deceased. The internal disk is
| still on warranty, although its contents are torch. I do have
| tape backups for /whimsy, but those are a year old.

Dr. Mills:

A thought:  A guy I know had a dead disk from which he
rescued the contents by finding an unused drive of identical
make and model, and then transplanting all the electronic
parts to the dead one, keeping the old mechanical parts and
magnetic platter.  (I seem to recall this was one of the
Seagate 1-GB drives of the mid-1990s.  He did not have to
unseal the media chamber.)

 ...RSS