[ntp:hackers] Driver interface change

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 01:53:09 PST 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:
[]
> if we publish NTP software packages without unix-style man pages,
> vendors will pull the old ones forward and possibly edit them to show
> modern syntax. in other words, our choice here is not whether man
> pages will be published, but rather, whether there will be an
> implicit code fork required to produce that result.  the thrill of
> publishing open source software is that once you've done it, you're
> only half "author", and the other half is "custodian".
[]

Folks,

Speaking as a non-UNIX user I don't care for "man" pages, they have no
place on my system, and I wouldn't know what to do with them to be honest.
I want my documentation in HTML preferably both on the Web for an
up-to-date public version, and on my own system in a tree of HTML files
which describe the exact commands of the version of NTP that I have on my
own system (which may not be the latest release).

What the master source is for these HTML files is I don't care (probably),
and whether or not man pages exist I don't care either, but I do want my
HTML and I want it well cross-linked and easily readable, and not an
abomination from an automatic conversion tool.

Can you rise to that challenge?

Cheers,
David