[ntp:hackers] FreeBSD or die

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Thu Dec 16 08:07:42 PST 2004

> Mort was a Linux. I just swept Linux away and sprinkled FreeBSD 5.3 on it
> and am delighted with the results. I brought it up, installed latest ntpd,
> rolled keys and lit it up. No fuss, no muss, even with Autokey, and I
> didn't have to download anything except NTP. This machine is to replace
> ageing rackety, an old Sun SPARC IPC. I would dearly like to hear advice
> about:

you can run freebsd on old sun sparcs too if you want.  i'm REALLY excited
that you're enjoying freebsd.  it's been my main OS for about five years;
i completely bypassed the sunos and solaris era, going from 4bsd to ultrix
to bsd/os to tru64 to freebsd, where i now feel quite at home.  welcome!

> 1. I need to install PPS stuff. I thought that only required a kernel
> recompile, but I can't find any reference to PPS in the kernel
> configuration file.

it's a module now.  do this:

#sa:i386# kldload pps
#sa:i386# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   11 0xc0400000 643488   kernel
 2    1 0xc0a44000 75ac0    ispfw.ko
 3    1 0xc0aba000 51ac8    acpi.ko
 4    1 0xcb35a000 4000     nullfs.ko
 5    1 0xcb373000 7000     if_nge.ko
 6    1 0xd6657000 3000     pps.ko

the source is in /usr/src/sys/modules/pps/ which really just pulls in
files from /usr/src/sys/dev/bus/ppbus, which is paul-henning's work
based on the mogul pps api spec.

> 2. I have installed a four-port serial card (SIIG Quartet Serial Plus PCI)
> copying the configuration on albert, which currently runs Linux. John
> Conner found a driver for it, but I need a FreeBSD driver. The 5.3 hardware
> release notes include some of the SIIG models, but not this one. I suspect
> one of those drivers would work. No help at the SIIG web.

you're probably screwed.  siig uses a different chip every time a cheaper
one comes out.  as long as they ship working windows drivers they don't
care.  i suggest a 4-port self-powered (laptop style) usb hub and four
usb/rs232 converters, which freebsd sees under the "ucom" driver.  on one
of our console servers this shows up in dmesg as:

usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0: SMM does not respond, resetting
usb0: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: (0x1166) OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub1: Texas Instruments TUSB2046 hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/1.25, addr 2
ucom0: ATEN International Serial adapter, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 3
ucom1: ATEN International Serial adapter, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 4
ucom2: ATEN International Serial adapter, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 5
uhub2: Texas Instruments TUSB2046 hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/1.25, addr 6
ucom3: ATEN International Serial adapter, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 7
ucom4: ATEN International Serial adapter, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 8
ucom5: ATEN International Serial adapter, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 9
ucom6: ATEN International Serial adapter, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 10

(which is two 4-port hubs ganged together and seven "ATEN" usb/rs232 blobs,
all on a frame designed for us by david boggs... let me know if you'd like
a signed edition for your lab.)

> 3. At the moment mort mounts files okay and does NIS, but it doesn't find
> the NIS passwd maps so has only root and mills, as added by adduser. Could
> be the passwdpw file needs the +:*::::: like /etc/passwd, but I can't find
> that file.

according to "man master.passwd", the answer lies elsewhere:

   NIS SUPPORT
     If `nis' is specified for the `passwd' database in
     nsswitch.conf(5), then passwd lookups occur from the
     `passwd.byname', `passwd.byuid', `master.passwd.byname', and
     `master.passwd.byuid' NIS maps.

> 4. I have a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem installed, intended for ACTS. It
> looks like 5.3 supports it, but not clear if PCI.

bus modems are iffy.  i don't have any experience to help you here.

> 5. I plugged a jumpdrive in a USB port and darn if it didn't light up. Cute
> way to do archiving and my jumpdrive is 2 GB! Now, if I can figure out how
> it works and how to mount it and the CD drive...

freebsd's hotplug support is iffy.  you might want to reboot while it's
plugged in and then see what the kernel legend (later available in the
file /var/run/dmesg.boot) calls it.  then just mount it up, it's probably
factory formatted to FAT32.

> 6. I need to use a serial port for the console. I know you can do this,
> just need to fumble around in the faq or whatever.

usually you add a line to /boot/loader.conf that reads:

console="comconsole"

and add a line to /etc/ttys that reads:

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm   on  secure

and reboot.

> Haven't had so much fun (?) since writing JCL scripts for an IBM System/360.

the freebsd people have really done a very fine job over the years.

> By the way, having apparently solved the jitter problem with refclocks on
> my Blade 1500, be advised my Arbiter GPS and PPS are really down in the
> weenieseconds, generally below 10 microseconds offset and jitter.

some day i'm going to get clepsydra's original GOES clock back online.  really.