goes time end-of-life, was Re: [ntp:hackers] FreeBSD or die

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Dec 16 13:43:59 PST 2004

> |Paul, GOES timecode end of life is 1 jan 2005 (a few weeks from now):
> |
> |http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/goesnotice.htm
> |
> |../Steven
>
> As long as you're thinking about the certain loss of GOES time
> signals, you may want to be aware of this news item relating to
> possible interruption of GPS service in a terrorism crisis:
>
>     http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041216/D870PV1O0.html

i surely do not like the idea of internet time depending on a sole source,
even if that sole source wasn't in the hands of the political establishment.

the hp gps clock i bought off e-bay a while back claims to have a very stable
oscillator, but even so, when ntpd learns that the gps signal has failed, it
is going to drop out of stratum 1 (which is as it should be in my opinion.)

i think what this all means is, when i get clock.isc.org back online, i'll
need both the gps clock and some kind of wwv clock.  is there anything else?