[ntp:hackers] accuracy reduction, was Re: goes time end-of-life, was (...)

gnu not unix gnu at wraith.sf.ca.us
Thu Dec 16 16:13:19 PST 2004

In message <20041216214359.1CA7913E12 at sa.vix.com> you write:
>> |Paul, GOES timecode end of life is 1 jan 2005 (a few weeks from now):

>> |http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/goesnotice.htm

>> |../Steven

(GPS availability):

>>     http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041216/D870PV1O0.html

>i surely do not like the idea of internet time depending on a sole source,
>even if that sole source wasn't in the hands of the political establishment.

(...)

>i think what this all means is, when i get clock.isc.org back online, i'll
>need both the gps clock and some kind of wwv clock.  is there anything else?

Digging a bit further, it seems that the time signal out of GOES
will not be eliminated, but the accuracy will degrade to the
millisecond regime, according to this url:

http://noaasis.noaa.gov/NOAASIS/ml/nisttime.html

I've a WWVB clock that seems to swing in the units of milliseconds,
so GOES, even degraded, seems comparable.

GOES is dead, long live goes?

../Steven