[ntp:hackers] Re: ntp_adjtime: ntp_loopfilter.c and ntp_request.c

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Dec 27 16:16:31 PST 2004

Harlan,

I've spent the day as FreeBSD warrior, but the victim is me.

I installed Freebie 5.3 on two machines, wannabee campus server model
mort and beauregard in new iron. The latter spins half a terabyte and is
to become an archive server for all the NTP munchkins. Both installed
cleanly, came up on the net with NFS and NIS and the trimmings. I
verified NFS and NIS works with no problem. I updated the group and
passwd and master.passwd to use NIS and checked the various local
configuration files against howland.

But, something is broken in the user creation process. I was able to
create myself on mort, but I can't even do that on beauregard. The
adduser program apparently creates the values and updates the passwd and
master.passwd files, but then claims the user "was lost". The entries
look okay, but the login fails. And, the NIS maps don't even get off the
ground. I carefully checked passwd, master.passwd and group and they all
look okay.

Here's what really bothers me. The howland bits are no different than
those on mort and beauregard, but there is no master.passwd map in the
Sun /var/yp on whimsy. Is this a 5.3 thing?

Any advice you have would of course be cherished. I have 5.3 disks for
churchy, but my reluctant maintainer of that iron is off campus for the
holidays.

Dave