[ntp:hackers] Re: public server listing

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Nov 9 18:43:34 PST 2004

At 6:17 PM -0800 2004-11-09, todd glassey wrote:

>  Politically speaking it would be much more opensourcish to run a CVS
>  management system if that is an issue.

	That's a nice idea, but I think Harlan has already explained why
this won't work for us.

>  But there is another issue - that is that while there are only a few core
>  and ongoing contributors the cost of operating the repository and the
>  security around it are important and that has a cost-of-doing business that
>  people like the ISC are adept at making a non-issue. My point is that we are
>  already in bed with the ISC and what the hell - having them manage the
>  server root or at least mirror it with a CVS system doesn't seem out of
>  line, politically incorrect or a bad thing to have happen. At least we could
>  try it.

	It's not just a matter of managing the CVS server system.  We
don't manage the BitKeeper server components, either -- that's done
by bkbits.net.

	This is a client-side issue where the key developer(s) involved
has/have come up with clear reasons why CVS won't work for us on
either side of the equation, and why BitKeeper does.

	There's not going to be anything you or anyone else can do to fix
this problem short of fixing all of CVS to address their inherent
limitations.

	Now, if you can fix CVS to address their issues, I'm sure you'd
have a lot of happy people on your hands, ourselves included.  In the
meanwhile, this is why projects like Subversion, Perforce, and
BitKeeper (among others) have been created.

>  That said how about having a checkout only CVS mirror of the production
>  development tree. That way we can at least use Tortoise (those of us windoze
>  bound folk)... with ease.

	We might be able to come up with ways to feed a CVS repository
from BitKeeper.  That is an idea we'll have to explore.

	In the meanwhile, there's no sense continuing this aspect of the
conversation.  You might as well be talking about turning cats into
dogs.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755