[ntp:hackers] I/O stuff

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Nov 24 21:28:48 PST 2004

Danny,

It gets tricky. When a broadcast packet is received the client volleys
with the sender to verify credentials. This exchange must use the
unicast addresses of the sender and receiver and they must be the same
at both the client and server. In a IPv4 broadcast, the unicast
addresses are captured in the association, but in a IPv6 broadcast, the
destination address at the client is the broadcast address, which of
course fails the check. This used to work, but now does not.

Dave