[ntp:hackers] Weekend error report

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Oct 8 20:09:36 PDT 2004

At 10:11 PM 10/8/2004, David L. Mills wrote:
>Danny and Harlan,
>
>Autokey works on the backroom flock. I have made some minor changes there.
>Is it safe to overwrite pogo:/pogo/dist/ntp4?
>
>Dave

The only change I made ensures that the broadcast server has the socket
set up to allow it to send packets to a broadcast address. This is for those
systems that require it. From the looks of it, solaris doesn't require it.
However, running on baldwin Harlan showed that the broadcast packet was
arriving on the wildcard address socket and it was not authenticating. See
this for example:

receive: at 96 0.0.0.0<-128.4.1.20 mode 5 code 5 keyid 00000005 len 48 mac
20 auth 0

It would be safe to overwrite. However, I don't think that the authentication
is working, probably due to the fact that it arrived on the wildcard socket.
I can't see how it ever worked if it arrives on the wildcard socket.