[ntp:hackers] Weekend

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Oct 9 15:30:25 PDT 2004

Guys,

Turns out the failures in broadcast mode with IPv4 and IPv6 were because
of autokey, not the underlying I/O and protocol processing. In symmetric
key IPv4 broadcast and multicast and IPv6 broadcast all works well. The
problem with autokey is confirmed because the sender sees only zeros
instead of the expected address.

Since this situation denies service to pogo customers using autokey,
either this should be fixed soon or we should back out to an I/O version
that works with autokey. I don't mind so much if the test machines don't
work, but rackety is down and the only public server we have is
accesable only with autokey.

There are two problems with the utilities. The ntpq run on howland with
target hepzibah (FreeBSD) hangs in the pe command; same program and
targe on deacon (Solaris) runs fine. The packets are on the wire, just
howland doesn't see them.

The ntpdc with monlist command apparently loses the last packet and
times out. It works for a short list (10 entries), but times out on a
large list (600 entries). The packets apparently are on the wire, but
ntpdc doesn't believe them. This is odd; once upon a time if a packet
got lost the list was displayed anyway less whatever was lost.