[ntp:hackers] Weekend

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Oct 10 20:07:38 PDT 2004

At 10:38 PM 10/10/2004, David L. Mills wrote:
>Danny,
>
>Yes, I know the problem is with the client, but yes, the contraption did
>really work up until recently. There was a little darling routine in
>ntp_io.c I used to pry the address from the interface's cold dead arms.

Actually you don't have my new code so putting it back should not affect me.
Are you sure it was really working? Which version was that? It would be
worthwhile looking at to see what's changed so that it's no longer working.

Also, the ntp key file permissions are wrong:
10 Oct 22:37:18 ntpd[20025]: can't open key file /usr/local/etc/ntp.keys:
Permis
sion denied

However the permissions look okay since I'm running as root:

-r--------   1 root     root          576 Dec 10  2000 /usr/local/etc/ntp.keys

Maybe you understand better.

>Yes, pogo is the only other public server here, but it is restricted only
>for Autokey access. I suppose I could back out the ntp_io.c routine and
>put back the old one from /backroom/ntp-sim, which was known to work, but
>that of course would complicate your testing. If this is something you
>think might work in a couple of days, I will wait the distance.

No, please don't wait. It's going to take longer than that. Right now, with
wildcard
turned off I don't see the broadcast packets at all. I'm running this right
now as
I right this on baldwin and it's not seeing any broadcast packets. I don't
understand
this.

Why don't you pull in the older version for test purposes.

>The problem with the ntpdc utility, at least, is that I and the USNO and
>NIST keepers have a paper due in November and it uses data gathered with
>monlist. However, that should be low on your priority list if on the list
>at all.

Unfortunately being a volunteer means I can't dedicate a lot of time to
ntp. I'd
like to look into this but my resources are limited and the I/O stuff is
sucking
up most of it.

Danny