[ntp:hackers] Of Linux and jitter

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Oct 19 16:08:31 PDT 2004

Danny,

Albert segfaulted well into the protocol dance with the debug trace
turned on. With the debug trace turned off, iit faulted within a couple
seconds. I have not concluded anything about the serial port code, just
that it has gotten far worse in recent Solaris versions and not in other
systems. And, I don't think it is the radio; I have tried different
radios on different Sun boxes and the radios all look the same.

I don't know what to think about the worsening nature of Sun I/O. First
it was the audio codec/mixer jitter, which went from 20 microseconds to
ten milliseconds, not the serial port, which went from 100 microseconds
to a second and a half. I cannot gaurantee the jitter is not some silly
aspect of the code which something in recent Solaris has exposed, but
from all evidence it sure looks like something in the kernel. A
1.5-second popcorn spike is just not credible.

Dave