[ntp:hackers] Albert fixed

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Oct 24 20:13:31 PDT 2004

Dave,

I have now fixed the problem with albert and it's running fine. There
were two issues with albert: ntp_peer was not checking the result
of the call to findinterface() and ANY_CHOOSE for a null interface
so in the case of not finding a local interface it would add it to
it's list of peers. Then when ntpq came along and made a query
and tried to find out what the address was it encountered a null
and it segfaulted. The reason this happened on albert was that
someone had put in an IPv6 multicast address FF05::101 into
the ntp.conf file. Unfortunately, albert doesn't have IPv6 turned
on so it has no IPv6 interfaces. The code was ignoring that fact.
The nointerface error is now logged along with the destination
address.

I ddo need to do some additional work to ensure that IPv6
addresses in the configuratuion 6 stack is enabled. We also
need to prevent IPv6 addresses being returned from a DNS
lookup in case it's a name.

I left the fixed code running on albert.

Danny