[ntp:hackers] [Fwd: Re: ntp bof request for November 2004]

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Oct 25 12:57:03 PDT 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: ntp bof request for November 2004
Date: 	Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:05:49 -0400
From: 	Margaret Wasserman <margaret at thingmagic.com>
To: 	O'Donoghue Karen F DLVA <OdonoghueKF at NSWC.NAVY.MIL>, narten at us.ibm.com
CC: 	mills at UDel.Edu, brian at innovationslab.net, "O'Donoghue Karen F DLVA"
<OdonoghueKF at NSWC.NAVY.MIL>, agenda at ietf.org

Approved.  Text version of the request attached below.

Margaret

At 12:59 PM -0400 10/4/04, O'Donoghue Karen F DLVA wrote:
>Margaret and Thomas,
>
>We are interested in having a BOF at the November IETF to
>explore starting a working group to revise and update the
>NTP standard.  Brian Haberman has agreed to help me with
>the BOF itself. I have attached a document with drafts of
>the BOF description, agenda, and WG charter.  Your feedback
>on these is welcome.
>
>Per instructions for requesting a BOF, I have copied
>agenda at ietf.org and request that you copy them on your
>decision.
>
>If we proceed with scheduling, I would like to request
>either Tuesday or Thursday afternoon if possible. Dr. Mills
>has indicated that he is available and willing to travel
>to DC during those timeframe.
>
>Regards,
>Karen
>
>**************************************
>Karen O'Donoghue
>Code B35, NSWCDD, 17320 Dahlgren Rd., Dahlgren, VA 22448
>+1-540-653-1567 (voice)
>+1-540-653-8673 (fax)
>+1-540-809-2905 (cell)
>odonoghuekf at nswc.navy.mil

NTP BOF DESCRIPTION
===================
The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely deployed and used in the
Internet. However, the standardization status of this protocol has
lagged in the IETF. RFC 1305 was published in March 1992 and remains
unchanged and at Draft Standard status. A good deal of work has been
produced in the NTP community over the years since March 1992, but
this work has not been reflected back into the NTP specification. A
number of topics have been raised as potential work items for an
update to NTP including support for IPv6, security considerations,
automatic configuration, and algorithm improvements.

The purpose of this BOF is to discuss an NTP WG in the IETF to update
the NTP protocol and advance the standardization status of NTP. The
current state of the protocol and the source(s) of ongoing work will
be discussed. A draft WG charter will be discussed to scope and
prioritize possible work in this area.

NTP BOF AGENDA
==============
Network Time Protocol BOF (ntp)

CHAIRS: Brian Haberman (brian at innovationslab.net)
        Karen O'Donoghue (odonoghuekf at nswc.navy.mil)

Agenda
 - Introduction and Agenda Bashing (5 min)
 - Problem Statement, Scope and Status Overview (10 min)
 - General Discussion (20 min)
 - Proposed WG Charter (10 min)
 - Charter Discussion and Wrap-up (15 min)

Recommended References:
 - RFC 2030 Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4
   for IPv4, IPv6 and OSI (Status - Informational)
 - RFC 1305 Network Time Protocol (Version 3)
   Specification, Implementation (Status - Draft Standard)
 - NTPv4 Documentation at UDEL (TBS)

Web page:  TBS

Mailing list: TBS

 NTP WG DRAFT CHARTER
====================

Description of Working Group:

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely deployed and used in the
Internet. However, the standardization status of this protocol has
lagged in the IETF. RFC 1305 was published in March 1992 and remains
unchanged and at Draft Standard status. A good deal of work has been
produced in the NTP community over the years, but this work has not
been reflected back into the NTP specification. The goal of this
working group is to update the NTP protocol specification and advance
the standardization status of NTP based on the extensive work from
the NTP community.

A number of topics have been raised as potential work items for an
update to NTP including support for IPv6, security considerations,
automatic configuration, and algorithm improvements. This working
group will identify modifications and additions to the NTP protocol,
document what is in the scope of this update, and produce a series of
updated NTP specifications.

The working group will complete the following tasks:
- Produce an NTP Protocol Specification
- Produce an NTP Algorithms Specification
- Produce an NTP MIB

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 2005	Initial Draft of NTP Protocol Specification
May 2005	Initial Draft of MIB Specification
Jul 2005	Initial Draft of NTP Algorithms Specification
Mar 2006	WG Last Call NTP Protocol Specification
May 2006	WG Last Call NTP MIB Specification
Jul 2006	WG LAST Call NTP Algorithms Specification