[ntp:hackers] Building NTP on Windows: Suggestions

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Tue Apr 12 09:54:15 PDT 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> Hi!
>
> I recently tried to update the winnt.html file which can be found in
> the  ntp-dev/html/build/hints directory and is _slightly_ outdated
> (refers to  4.0.99f.

You must be looking at an old version. The one distributed with the
tarball says 4.2.0 as the latest.

> I'd need some input from the team regarding the
> "ToDo" section.  What has been already archieved and which new tasks
> regarding the  Windows Port have to be added? Is there any information
> available  regarding the usage of Visual Studio .NET?

I have successfully built ntp using VS.NET. There were quite a few
changes that I made to the configuration files to get it to build.
I haven't tried to rebuild it recently, but nothing's been changed
in that area to cause it not to build. I don't currently have a VS.NET
environment to do this on, I need to get one.

> Another thing is that the Visual C++ project files refer to an Include
> path named openssl-0.9.7d and I'd like to ask if we should change that
> to an environment variable pointing to the openssl directory which
> should be used.  That could be done by changing the
> "\openssl-0.9.7d\inc32" include dir into "$(OPENSSLSRC)\inc32", where
> OPENSSLSRC is the env variable that has to be defined for each user
> (or  systemwide, if someone prefers that).

I had sent you a copy of the perl script that updates the BIND 9 builds
to use the latest version of OpenSSL. I just haven't had the time to
set it up for NTP. Using environmental variables can be problematical
when using VS. It works much better with bat scripts.

> Next point: There are references to config.h in the Visual C project
> files, these references are obsolete with the new makever script and
> as  these references only produce warnings, I'd like to remove those
> references from the project files.

Which references? I can't imagine most of them being obsolete.

> Any comments on that from the Windows guy(s)? :-)

See above.

Danny