[ntp:hackers] Re: casting and wildcards

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sat Aug 6 03:35:36 UTC 2005

# > The commercial vendors already use BIND from ISC and some (I don't know
# > how many as I'm not privy to that information) are paying members of
# > ISC's BIND forum.
#
# How many of them are shipping BIND code that uses code from the ISC?

all of them.

# How many of them are already shipping GPL's products that they dont own
# becuase of the core GPL inside of them?

i have no idea, but that's one important reason why BIND isn't under the GPL.

# > The license makes it clear that they don't need any agreements with ISC as
# > long as they don't remove the copyright from the source code.
#
# Which means they cannot own the code.

they don't give a darn who owns the code.  what their lawyers check for is
whether they have the right to use, modity and redistribute the code.  who
owns it only matters if the owner is asserting rights incompatible with one's
business model.

# Its part of the external Artistic or GPL License. They have NO possibility
# of protecting or indemnifying their code...

were you talking about BIND?  if so, did you know that there are differences
between the GPL, Artistic, and BSD styles of licensing?